5 Takeaways from the 2021 Spring Meeting
Written by: Rachel Schramm
The Iowa Cancer Consortium’s annual Spring Meeting was held virtually on May 10-11, 2021. The event featured a 3-hour training by our friends at the Racial Equity Institute, as well as a 2-hour member meeting. Making the best of pandemic Zoom meetings, we laughed, we cried, and we learned from one another along with 75 of our colleagues and partners.
The following are a few of our takeaways from the meeting:
- If you haven’t attended one of their trainings already, check-out the Racial Equity Institute and consider attending a virtual or in-person training.
- The Iowa Cancer Consortium unveiled the new 2021-2024 Strategic Plan. Based upon member feedback, and excellent facilitation by See What I Mean consulting, the organization will focus on these priorities over the coming years to build member and coalition capacity.
- If your organization is in need of social media messages on the intersection of COVID-19 & Cancer, view our curated social media message set. In addition to Facebook and Twitter posts, these message sets include graphics that are easily shareable to your network.
- The Consortium believes in lifelong learning. As a result, we have composed a health Equity Resource Sheet containing readings and resources to help you along your journey towards health equity, social justice and racism. Please send additional suggestions or useful tools to [email protected].
- Finally, are you a member yet? Becoming a member is easy and gets you connected to a network of folks who care about cancer control just as much as you! https://canceriowa.org/membership/
- Jackie Cale (American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network)
- Mary Charlton (University of Iowa)
- Pamela Crouch (Living Proof Exhibit)
- Morgan Newman (Cervivor)
- Cindy Fiester (Linn County Public Health)
- Sarah Ziedler (John Stoddard Cancer Center – Unity Point, Des Moines)
- Elizabeth Faber (Iowa Immunizes)