2023 Sun-Safety Community Project
Skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the U.S., and rates of skin cancer, including melanoma (the deadliest form), are on the rise in Iowa.
In an effort to increase sunscreen use and decrease incidence of sunburns, which can lead to skin cancer, the Iowa Cancer Consortium will distribute approximately 50 gallons of SPF30 sunscreen across Iowa for the summer of 2023!
Along with this, awarded projects will educate the community about the risks of UV exposure and ways they can protect themselves.
- Anyone can apply for sunscreen for their community event, location, or organization! Common examples are:
- Child Care Centers
- City Pools
- County Fairs
- Day Camps
- Local Public Health Departments
- Outdoor Community Events
- Towns that are stops on the 2023 RAGBRAI course
- Awardees must be a member of the Iowa Cancer Consortium. Learn about membership options.
- For one-day events, a minimum of 100 people must be reached and the event must be held for 3 hours or more.
- Application (includes instructions and grading rubric)
- Final Report Template
Reach out to Liz Orton by calling (319) 467-4569 or emailing [email protected]
|April 3, 2023||2023 Sun-Safety Community Project Sunscreen Request announced.|
|May 8, 2023|
|Applications due to [email protected].|
|May 15, 2023||Recipients announced via email.|
|May 29, 2023||Project period begins.|
|September 4, 2023||Project period ends.|
|September 18, 2023||Final reports due.|